During elections and annual canvass, we rely on a pool of additional temporary staff to support the democratic process.
Applicants who apply may be added to a database to be contacted about election specific roles.
Being accepted onto our database does not guarantee that you will be offered a post.
- Election roles are paid on a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) basis, which means that tax may be deducted from earnings. If you are not a tax payer you will be responsible for claiming the tax back from HMRC
- Any work that you do may affect any state pension or benefit that you receive. You will be responsible for telling your pension or benefit provider about your earnings
- Any work that you do may affect how much tax that you are required to pay. You will be responsible for telling HMRC about your earnings
Precautions at polling stations and count venue
Due to the current public health situation we will be taking a number of additional steps to ensure that voting is as safe as possible for voters and election staff. These steps will likely include (but are not limited to):
- The provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at polling stations and the count, including face masks, gloves and Perspex screens or similar.
- Social distancing and a limit on capacity at polling stations and the count
- The provision of hand-sanitiser and hand-washing facilities at polling stations and the count, and additional cleaning requirements at polling stations
- Additional management of queues and one-way systems at polling stations where possible
Elections jobs available:
Polling station staff ensure that voters are able to cast their vote in secret, free from influence and in a calm atmosphere. If you are a good communicator, methodical and quick to learn, apply to work in one of the many polling stations across Hastings.
Count staff work in a team to sort and count all ballot papers after voting finishes. Some counts start at 10pm in the evening, others during weekdays or occasionally over a weekend. If you are methodical, numerate and enjoy working as part of team, apply to work as a count assistant.
- Presiding Officer job description
- Poll Clerk job description
- Steward & Hygiene Officer job description
- Count Assistant job description
- Latest election (UK Parliamentary) results
- Electoral registration query
- Electoral absent voting query
- Make Electoral register amendments
- Upload electoral documents
- Register to vote on Gov.uk
Got a question about voting and elections?01424 451087
CommentsThe content on this page is the responsibility of our Electoral Services team.