Site reference: TC1
Site name: Priory Street car park and ESK
Focus Area/Strategic Policy: Focus Area 1: Hastings Central
Use: Commercial/employment led mixed use to complement the function of the town centre. Option to include residential uses potentially taking inspiration from creative development of multi-storey car parks in regeneration areas in other towns, which have ranged from incorporation of power league pitches, to pop up leisure, and start-up units
Indicative capacity (net residential dwellings/floorspace): 10,000sqm and up to 120 residential units
Site specific development considerations based on draft Local Plan policies:
Development on this site should:
- Enable better placemaking response at key point of arrival in the town, with associated scope to change perceptions
- Provide opportunity for creative year-round leisure focused development combining an innovative range of uses
- Provide an active frontage along Priory Street, and landmark building at corner with Cambridge Road to complement former post office building and Priory Square
- Provide active uses at ground floor level which should include retail, leisure or other 'town centre' complementary uses;
- Improve public realm and support promotion as a secondary route to the town centre and Bohemia;
- Retain an element of town centre car parking on this site as part of town provision subject to securing appropriate and safe access and servicing
- Preserve and enhance the setting of the conservation area, and long-range views of and from Hastings Castle.
- Provide appropriate measures to mitigate the impact of noise on residential dwellings due to location within the active night-time economy setting
- Provide 25% affordable housing where new residential development is built in line with policy SP2
The following image shows a map of the site boundary.
© Crown Copyright and database rights . OS . Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions. You are granted a non-exclusive, royalty free, revocable licence solely to view the Licensed Data for non-commercial purposes for the period during which Hastings Borough Council makes it available. You are not permitted to copy, sub-license, distribute, sell or otherwise make available the Licenced Data to third parties in any form. Third party rights to enforce the terms of this licence shall be reserved to OS.