Hastings Town Centre and White Rock Area Action Plan
The Hastings Town Centre and White Rock Area Action Plan (AAP) is another key document being prepared as part of the Hastings Local Plan process. It will set out the overall strategy for the future of the Town Centre and White Rock area and covers the period to 2028.
The AAP preparation follows the successful adoption of Hastings Planning Strategy (February 2014) and Development Management Plan (September 2015), both of which cover the whole of the Borough. Once adopted the AAP will form part of the statutory planning framework for the town, and will be used in the determination of planning applications.
The first phase in developing the AAP was the production of a retail & leisure assessment and urban design analysis document (produced by Bilfinger GVA) for the whole of the AAP area. As part of this process a workshop was held in November 2015.
A second important area of work has been to develop a Masterplan specifically for the White Rock area. White Arkitekter were appointed to explore the potential to introduce new development in the White Rock area and the issues associated with introducing change. A workshop involving a range of local organisations and individuals with an interest in the White Rock area was held in November 2016, and White Arkitekter also consulted with landowners and interested parties during the development of the Masterplan.
Key themes put forward in the White Rock Park & Bohemia Strategy (Masterplan document) include:
- a focus on public space and existing dormant assets as a transformative tool for Hastings;
- rationalising services and facilities, enhancing sports facilities in the area, promoting mixed uses and varied spaces;
- co-ordinating cultural development;
- addressing housing needs;
- strengthening strategic connections to the seafront, St Leonards and Hastings town centre to ensure that White Rock is accessible and tied into the town.
The White Rock Masterplan is not a statutory planning document, it is part of a research and evidence gathering process which is helping to inform the development of the Area Action Plan (AAP). We will be seeking your views and inviting comments on the ideas and aspirations contained in the Masterplan as part of the draft AAP and its consultation early in 2018.
Hastings Town Centre and White Rock Area Action Plan Evidence Base Documents
- White Rock Park & Bohemia Strategy (White Rock Masterplan)
- Hastings Town Centre and White Rock Retail and Leisure Assessments and Urban Design Analysis
Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) of the AAP
- SEA_SA Scoping Report to AAP - July 2016
- Background Paper 1 - July 2016
- Background Paper 2 - July 2016
- Update to AAP SEA Scoping Report - October 2016
- Scoping Report - October 2016
- Background Paper 1 - October 2016
Call for sites
Between August and September 2016 the Council carried out a 'Call for Sites' asking developers, landowners and other interested parties to submit sites for a range of uses to be considered within the Area Action Plan boundary as part of the Area Action Plan process. The Call for Sites consultation closed in 2016, however, if you have a site that you think should be considered for development, you can still submit details using the Call for Sites Proforma made available during the consultation. You may want to read the Call for Sites Guidance Notes before completing this form.
The draft Town Centre & White Rock Area Action Plan (AAP) will be published and consulted upon in spring 2018.
For any queries relating to the AAP, or to add your details to our Local Plan consultation database, please contact us.