Hastings Borough Council launches Cultural Strategy consultation - we want to hear what you think
Hastings Borough Council has published its draft Culture Strategy for public consultation. The draft strategy has been a year in the making and is the result of hundreds of conversations with local people and stakeholders. It sets a bold vision for the role culture can play in making Hastings one of the best places in the country to live, work, visit and invest in.
The draft strategy sets out a vision for Hastings that has culture and creativity playing a vital role town's future. The strategy focuses on supporting local communities and building collective pride in Hastings. It has culture as a driving economic force within the town. It promotes the cultural sector as a leader in tackling the climate emergency. The strategy demonstrates the important role culture has in helping to improve the health and wellbeing of Hastings' residents.
The five priorities in the draft strategy are:
1. Ensure all residents and communities can engage in and experience high quality cultural activities that are accessible and inclusive.
2. Establish across Hastings a dynamic cultural ecology that fosters a sense of pride, belonging and identity.
3. Support cultural organisations, creative practitioners and the creative industries to achieve their ambitions for growth, engagement and excellence.
4. Raise the profile of Hastings nationally as a town synonymous with a progressive cultural offer, universally recognised as vibrant, welcoming and attractive to visitors.
5. Increase the importance, awareness, and implementation of environmental protection in enhancing cultural and creative activity.
Launching the consultation, Cllr Andy Batsford, lead councillor for health and culture, said: "We know what a cultural hub Hastings is, and how many creative organisations and individuals have made Hastings their home. We want to use all of this experience and knowledge to put together a plan for the next five years that will allow the cultural and creative industries here grow and develop so more people can enjoy their activities.
"If you live, work or visit Hastings, please get in touch and let us know your thoughts."
You can read the strategy and contribute to the consultation. The consultation runs from 22 July until 2 October 2022.
You can also join one of our online public meetings about the strategy in September. Book your place online.