Changes to council services for Christmas
Hastings Borough Council offices will be closed from 3pm on Friday 23 December, until Tuesday 3 January 2023.
Waste and recycling collections will be one working day later than usual (see table below) from Tuesday 27 December. Collections will return to normal on Monday 2 January.
Garden waste and bulky waste collections will be suspended from Monday 26 December and will restart on Monday 9 January 2023.
Christmas waste calendar 2022 Normal collection day Revised collection day Monday 26 December 22 Tuesday 27 December 22 Tuesday 27 December 22 Wednesday 28 December 22 Wednesday 28 December 22 Thursday 29 December 22 Thursday 29 December 22 Friday 30 December 22 Friday 30 December 22 Saturday 31 December 22
While collection dates have changed, what can and can't be recycled has not.
These are the items that can be recycled:
- Wrapping paper that passes the 'scrunch' test - if the paper doesn't spring back when you scrunch it, it can be recycled
- Christmas cards - remove any glitter, ribbon, etc, plain cards can be recycled
- Food and drinks cans
- Metal lids from glass bottles and jars
- Clean kitchen foil and foil food trays
- Plastic bottles (squash and put lids back on)
- Plastic food pots, tubs, and trays
- Glass bottles (lids off please)
- Glass jars (lids off please)
- Batteries and small electrical items must not be put in the bin. Please place small electrical items in a small carrier bag and place it on top of either your green or black bin on collection day.
Over the festive period, there will also be changes to other services. Please check the council website at www.hastings.gov.uk/my-council/christmas_information/ for details of our Christmas and New Year opening hours.
Cllr Ali Roark, lead for the Environment at Hastings Borough Council, said:
"Even though our offices will be officially closed over the Christmas and new year period, there will still be lots of council staff working, including those at the Cemetery and Crematorium. If anyone has any issues during the office closedown that they would like to report to us, this can be done easily at My Hastings. This includes reporting missed bins, fly tips and problems with car parks. My Hastings also allows council tax and benefits accounts to be linked, so payments and details can be checked at any time."
You can look up your bin collection day anytime on our collection day lookup page.