Requests and responses by date
Scrap Metal Act 2010
Requested Thu 08 February 2018
Responded Mon 05 March 2018
I would like to make a freedom of information request under the FOI Act for the following data;
- A record of the number of scrap metal licenses issued to traders who identify as Gypsy and/or Travellers for the period between 2013 to date
- A record of all fines issued to traders who identify as Gypsy and/or Travellers for the period between 2013 - to date
In terms of the format, electronic would be preferable.
I would like to add that if the council do not keep this kind of aggregated data which shows the relationship between licensing and fines for ethnic minorities this may be in breach of Public Sector Equality Duty under the Equality Act 2010;
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The main reason for this is Gypsy's and Travellers are the main ethnic group who collect scrap metal. Therefore, this data should be kept as a matter of equality impact monitoring and assessment.
FFT are collecting this data as part of a wider investigation to the impact of the Scrap Metal Act 2013 on Gypsy and Traveller traders, funded by the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
Hastings Borough Council have not issued any scrap metal licences over the time period requested.
Freedom of Information