What is a heritage champion?
A heritage champion is a local councillor who has been nominated to promote all aspects of the historic environment in the town.
The heritage champion will look at ways the historic environment can help the local council to achieve strategic goals and bring a better quality of life to the community.
They can make sure that local plans and strategies capture the contribution that the local historic environment can make.
Who is the town's heritage champion?
The heritage champion for Hastings is Councillor Margi O'Callaghan:
"Heritage is extremely important to Hastings. The town is enriched with it, and as Heritage Champion for Hastings I would like to make sure that all the things that our special about our fantastic town, such as its culture and traditions, are preserved whilst also embracing regeneration and shaping Hastings for the future.
I am here to promote heritage where possible, to generate enthusiasm and create awareness of the towns local historic environment. To support any local historic environment services, as its important that the past is not forgotten; you can't have a tomorrow without a yesterday.
I would like to work on historical projects and to promote opportunities that draw attention to the historic environment across the whole borough. I will do this by communicating within the council, with Historic England and with all other national and local organisations to achieve this."
What is the heritage champion responsible for?
The roles and responsibilities of the heritage champion include:
- championing the Hastings Heritage Strategy
- making the council aware of important historic environment issues and opportunities
- promoting the value of the historic environment as a enabler for regeneration and neighbourhood renewal
- promoting the potential the historic environment has for attracting economic investment and funding in certain areas
- raising the profile of the historic environment in planning documents such as the local plan
- working with key organisations outside the council to maximise the benefits the historic environment can have for the town, residents and visitors
Find out more
You can find out more about heritage champions on the Historic England website.
How you can get involved
If you have any ideas about how we can get more out of the town's historic environment for the benefit of the local community and visitors to the town, you can contact the heritage champion using the details below.
Contact the heritage champion
Muriel Matters House
Phone: 01424 451066