Hastings Coastal Communities Team
Hastings was awarded funding from the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) in 2015 to set up a Coastal Community Team (CCT) to champion regeneration and tackle the economic challenges specific to coastal areas. Our Coastal Community Team includes all the electoral wards along the seafronts of Hastings and St Leonards - Old Hastings, Castle, Central St Leonards and West St Leonards.
Hastings CCT is coordinated by Hastings Borough Council and made up of public, private and voluntary organisations, all of whom are based or work in the seafront areas. It brings all of these people together to ensure a coordinated, action-based approach to regeneration and economic growth. Our work is directed by our Economic plan setting out our vision for what we want to see and how we will achieve this.
Our economic plan is an important document setting out the history and background of the town, the vision for Coastal Communities Team area and setting out how the vision is going to be achieved. We developed our plan by drawing on knowledge and ideas from our members and the community, and linking to current strategies and action plans.
The plan is an evolving document and will be updated and changed as new and existing plans and funding streams are developed and confirmed.
Hastings will be a thriving, vibrant, unique coastal community, with a prosperous economy, better connected, skilled and healthy residents, and a place where people are proud to live and work and visitors want to visit again.
This will be achieved through:
- Improving the visitor economy to support wider growth;
- Improving the evening economy and promenading;
- Developing and supporting all year round quality cultural activities and supporting local organisations to deliver these activities;
- Encouraging and supporting enterprise start-up/growth (including social enterprises and creative businesses) to create jobs and economic activity
- Supporting large and small scale private and public investment opportunities;
- Changing visitors and non-visitors perceptions of Hastings and encouraging an increased sense of pride amongst the local community;
- Improved transport links to the town - particularly by rail
- Creating stable neighbourhoods and populations
- Leading and delivering change from a local level
CCT Membership & Meetings
Hastings Pier Charity
Business interests on the seafront - White Rock Hotel and The Source BMX Park
East Sussex County Council
White Rock Trust
Hastings Fishermen's Protection Society
Heart of Hastings Community Land Trust
Coastal Users Group
Hastings Business Improvement District
Hastings Borough Council Lead Member for Regeneration and Culture
Hastings Borough Council Director of Operational services and/or his nominee
Fisheries Local Action Group
Our Coastal Community Team meets every quarter. We monitor the actions and project in the Economic Plan and discuss any upcoming projects or funding streams that could support our vision.
If you are interested in finding out more or becoming a member of the Coastal Community Team please contact us.
If you would like to contact us please use our online form.