Am I eligible for relief or reductions?
- Empty properties are exempt from business rates for three months after they become vacant, or six months for industrial premises
- Listed buildings are exempt until they become occupied again
- Buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 are exempt until they are occupied again
If you think your property may be exempt please contact us as soon as possible
Please note, after the exemption period ends, you will be liable to pay the full rate.
Charity and Registered Community Amateur Sports Club Relief (CASC)
Charities and registered amateur sports clubs can apply for mandatory relief, which can reduce the bill by 80%. We also have powers to remit all or part of the remaining 20% on such properties. You can apply for discretionary relief which may reduce your bill by up to 50%. Bodies that may be considered for discretionary relief include those whose objectives are charitable, philanthropic, religious or educational or those with social welfare, science, literature and fine arts.
Small Business Rate Relief
With effect from 1 April 2017, all rate bills for businesses with rateable values below £51,000 will be calculated using the lower multiplier.
From1 April 2017, the government have increased the level of relief to 100% for those businesses with rateable values below £12,000, who qualify for the percentage reduction. Tapered relief will apply for all who qualify with rateable values between £12,001 and £15,000 on a sliding scale of between 0% and 100%.
The criteria for the additional percentage reduction, remains unchanged. To qualify a business must:
- Occupy one business property in England with a rateable value below £12,000
- Occupy one business property with a rateable value below £12,000, together with others whose rateable values are each below £2,899 and when added together the total rateable value does not exceed £19,999
Most accounts have this relief applied automatically. Please contact us if you think you may be eligible but have not had the relief applied to your account.
The government has introduced additional support to small businesses. For those businesses that take on an additional property that would normally have meant the loss of small business rate relief, the government has confirmed that they will be allowed to keep that relief for a period of 12 months.
Hardship relief is available to businesses and bodies experiencing particular financial hardship. Almost half of the cost of any Hardship Relief falls directly on local Council Tax payers, with the remainder being borne by Central Government.
In the current economic climate, applications for Hardship Relief can only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Each case is considered on its own merits, you must make a written request and submit copies of your last two years audited accounts. Please contact us for further details.
Partly Occupied Property Relief
We have the power to issue a request to the Valuation Officer to provide a certificate apportioning the rateable value of a property which is partly occupied 'for a short time only' and which is incapable of being split by the Valuation Office Agency.
The effect of the apportioned values enables a reduction of 100% to be made against the rateable value of the un-occupied part for the first 3 months for a non industrial property, or 6 months in the case of an industrial property. Following this period the unoccupied charge is raised.
Please contact us for further details.
Administration of Discounts and Exemptions
As the Billing Authority, we are under a duty to take reasonable steps to ascertain discount and exemption entitlement before calculating the Business rates liability each year.
Changes of address/circumstances
Your bill is calculated on the assumption that your circumstances will remain the same for the whole of the financial year up to the end of March.
If you move, please let us know and if your bill shows that you are getting a discount which is incorrect, you must contact us with any relevant change.
If possible, please quote the account reference number shown on the front of your bill when you call or write to us:
Revenues and Benefit Service Counters Community Contact Centre opening hours:
- Monday to Friday: 8.30am to 5pm (doors open at 10am on Wednesdays for staff training)
- Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm (last tickets issued at 4.45pm; last Housing Option tickets issued at 4.15pm unless customer is presenting as homeless in which case a ticket will be issued)
- Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm (last tickets issued at 4.15pm; last Housing Option tickets issued at 3.45pm unless customer is presenting as homeless in which case a ticket will be issued)
- Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 4.45pm
- Friday: 8.30am to 4.15pm.